Re: 2 nics, 1 network, puzzle?

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Juhan Kundla wrote:

> Ühel ilusal päeval [28.03.2002] kirjutas Jason Healy <jhealy@logn.net>:
>
> [Skip]
>
> > Again, on a shared media network (such as ethernet), you're not
> > actually balancing the load at all.  Only one node on an ethernet
> > segment may broadcast at any one time, so there could never be a time
> > where both cards were active.  In fact, you're probably just slowing
> > the machine down with two cards in it, since you'll be receiving every
> > ethernet frame twice, and filling up your routing table with redundant
> > IP routing info.
>
> [Skip]
>
> Hei :)
>
> This is not completely true. It is quite possible to divide an
> ethernet into several collision domains -- that is why switches are
> used. If those NICs were in different collision domains, then IMO they
> could speak at the same time and not disturb eachother. But this is
> hypothetical and i am not sure, if this can be used for load balancing.
>
> Juhan
>
> --
> In the early morning hour, when the pub was closing, my grandpa
> emptied his tankard, stood up and said his famous words:
>   The cheese slid off her cracker.
>
> http://juku.kicks-ass.net/
>

> --

If what he's talking about is 3 10 meg cards plugged into a 10/100 meg
switch and  all trying to talk to another box that has a 100meg nic, then:
They wouldn't have to be "talking" at the EXACT same time in order to
loadbalance. There is 100 megabits to work with - they can take turns and
achieve an effective higher combined bandwidth. Now I don't think that
Linux supports this type of bonding at this time.

Something else I saw earlier in this thread that I wanted to clarify - you
can have multiple (distinct) IP subnets running on the same physical media
(in the same collision domain). This is common practice is fully
supported. Moreover you can have all sorts of protocols running on the
same media - IP, IPX, Appletalk, ...etc.

Cheers!

- -Matt