Re: 2 nics, 1 network, puzzle?

Ühel ilusal päeval [28.03.2002] kirjutas Jason Healy <jhealy@logn.net>:

[Skip]

> Again, on a shared media network (such as ethernet), you're not
> actually balancing the load at all.  Only one node on an ethernet
> segment may broadcast at any one time, so there could never be a time
> where both cards were active.  In fact, you're probably just slowing
> the machine down with two cards in it, since you'll be receiving every
> ethernet frame twice, and filling up your routing table with redundant
> IP routing info.

[Skip]

Hei :)

This is not completely true. It is quite possible to divide an
ethernet into several collision domains -- that is why switches are
used. If those NICs were in different collision domains, then IMO they
could speak at the same time and not disturb eachother. But this is
hypothetical and i am not sure, if this can be used for load balancing.

Juhan

--
In the early morning hour, when the pub was closing, my grandpa
emptied his tankard, stood up and said his famous words:
  The cheese slid off her cracker.

http://juku.kicks-ass.net/