Re: misconfigured mailout lists.debian.org

also sprach dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> [2002.03.26.1805 +0100]:
> | postfix/smtpd[1491]: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[65.125.64.134]:
> | 554 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [65.125.64.134];
> | from=<bounce-debian-user=mass+deb-user=madduck.net@lists.debian.org>
> | to=<mass+deb-user@madduck.net>
>
> 5xx errors are permanent, meaning the message will (should) be bounced
> by the sending server.  If you bounce too many messages to murphy
> you'll get booted off the list.  (I did this alot in the last 2.5
> weeks due to various setup changed)  However the cause of the problem
> is only temporary.  I'm not sure which you meant by the implied "it"
> in your question.

temporary applied to the lack of reverse resolution, which is now
fixed. i wasn't querying the 554 code, just why murphy was messed up.

> Another note: some legitimate people won't have reverse DNS.  In
> particular, me :-(.  My IP is now provided by my current employer (the
> housing is too, it's really nice!), but the reverse DNS is managed by
> their provider.  Unfortunately my IP (which wasn't in use before)
> doesn't have a reverse mapping and it is less than trivial to make
> one.

true. and it's not an excuse. it means that the provider is just
another one of those that doesn't know what they're doing. DNS is
bloody simple, it's amazing how many (influential) parties get it
wrong.

> Hmm, maybe I can create an exim router that looks through a list of
> hosts that require a reverse DNS and relay those messages through a
> smarthost but deliver other mail directly ... that's a project for
> a later time.

too much trouble. get your provider to do it right and your problems
are history.

"memory is like an orgasm.
 it's a lot better
 if you don't have to fake it."
                          -- seymour cray commenting on virtual memory

"but virtual memory still gets the job done."
                                                                 -- gr