Re: make-dpkg: flavors and external modules

also sprach Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> [2002.03.26.1755 +0100]:
> Something like:
>
>       --append-to-version modular
>
> and then would I end up with /lib/modules/2.4.17-modular?

2.4.17modular, but yes, it's correct otherwise. i usually use
hostnames appended to the version number...

> 2) When installing the package, is there a way to say, just add this to the
> current list of kernels, but don't rotate the current kernel to .old?

man kernel-img.conf

but i usually just undo the change manually, it's quite easy...

> 3) what I don't understand is how I can boot different kernels, yet have
> one /etc/modules and /etc/modules.con setup.  Can someone explain?

depmod -a is run at every boot.

> 4) I'm using the nvida video driver.  I'm sure this is the Wrong Way, but
> currently after I create a new kernel I manually copy this driver into my
> /lib/modules/*/kernel/video directory.  Is there a trick to managing this
> automatically so I don't have to do this manual copy?

where's the driver from? doesn't the kernel provide an nvidia module
itself?

> 5) I also worry about building a modularized kernel that won't boot since
> modules are not loaded early enough.  Maybe I'm making that up, but is that
> possible, and if so, what do I need to know to prevent or solve that?

no, it's not possible. as long as you don't have your filesystem
(ext2/ext3/reiserfs) built as a module, most everything else is not
going to be essential to booting. but since you only have 6 modules,
why not tell us which ones and i'll let you know if you need to employ
initrd to enable modules being used before / is mounted.

> 6) What is the System.map file used for?  e.g. /boot/System.map-2.4.17

to resolve memory addresses to function calls, mainly used for
debugging, but syslog uses them at times too.

core error - bus dumped