Re: CDROM: hdc: lost interrupt (how to troubleshoot?)

"Brooks R. Robinson" wrote:

> |   when I try to rip the CD I get the following messages and the ripping
> | is VERY slow (few hours per one song):
> |
> | Mar 24 04:10:09 localhost kernel: hdc: lost interrupt
> |   the situation is the same regardless of whether I use scsi emulation
> | or not.
>
> Greetings,
>         I had the same problem a few months ago.  The only thing that I found was
> that *perhaps* the hard drive controller was bad.  I kept swapping drives
> around to different channels and it turned out that my secondary controller
> always seemed to be the culprit, not the drive, not the cable, not the OS.
> I ended up purchasing a Maxtor PCI ATA/IDE/100 card,  and everything is
> working now.  So, you might try re-cabling to see if it helps.

  it works under windows, I should have tried it before but somehow I
didn't. But after I sent the message you replied to I booted windows and
ripped a song (I don't have a space for a whole album under windows) and
it was ripped ok (fast), it created wav file that sounds the same (as
far as I can tell) as CD itself.

  but I have found another strange behaviour:

  I can copy the whole data CD, no problems (fast, no errors, no
messages in syslog). However when I run either of the following:

  cat /dev/hdc |od
  hdparam -t /dev/hdc

  the program (cat or hdparm) runs for awhile (5-10s) but then freezes
(cannot even be kill-9-ed, which means that it's stuck in system call, I
guess) and there are following messages in syslog (repeated over and
over, even after shutdown prints out the Power down message, at that
time they are displayed on the console):

Mar 25 01:24:49 localhost kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Mar 25 01:24:49 localhost kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
Mar 25 01:24:52 localhost kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Mar 25 01:24:52 localhost kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
Mar 25 01:24:55 localhost kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Mar 25 01:24:55 localhost kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
Mar 25 01:24:55 localhost kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
Mar 25 01:24:55 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00
(hdc), sector 3276

  not sure how to do the same test under windows to see if that would
work.

	erik