Re: OT: getting the family in on Linux. was: Re: new twist on shutting down and restricting ssh users

dman wrote:
On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:24:49PM -0600, Matt Garman wrote:
I wonder if someone has done a comparison between
    1)  VNC on the server  vs.  using XDMCP to manage a remote display

    2)  VNC viewer on the client  vs.  X server (using XDMCP) on the client

I think your choices are: having VNC server and client running on server and client machines respectively; having X servers running on both machines (for XDMCP).

The points of interest are :
    on the server :
        o ease of installation/setup

VNC is definitely eaier.
XDMCP needs you to setup the X server correctly on the server machine; ie: X can be run on the server.

        o performance tradeoff (memory, speed, bandwidth, etc)

In terms of memory... well, the VNC has the "tight" word in it.

    on the client :
        o usability of the display software

I think you'd need a 100Mbps network connection for both; even though VNC is supposed to be faster due to the more streamlined protocol. I have never been successful using "something" on XDMCP that is practical for replacing gdm; so loging in was basically done by runing the local X server using some parameters. Using VNC, all you need is to run xvncviewer. I don't know... when the Gnome login panel that understands XDMCP is ready, I think it would be nicer.

My only experience with VNC is using the client (mainly the java one)

Try xvncviewer; it has to be faster.
The Java one is supposed to be run in a browser, right?

Oki