Re: freeware purify like memory checker ?

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:49:17 +0100, Leif Thuresson <LThuresson@rsasecurity.com> wrote:

> Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear on what I wanted.
> Purify that I referred to is a tool for checking incorrect memory usage
> when writing program. It can detect illegal memory references,
> memory leaks etc.
>
> I have found GNU checker so far
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/checker/checker.html
> but there is only an alpha version available and it is from 1998
> so it doesn't seem to be actively developed.

A simple memory checker exists in glibc.  I could never get the
mcheck() function interface to work (always segfaults on first
malloc), but if you export MALLOC_CHECK_=[0 | 1 | 2], you can get
some memory checking.  Probably not as thorough as a dedicated
malloc library, but it does catch things like out of bounds errors.
I doubt it can help much with memory leaks, but memprof can help
there.  Neither of those solutions require any special coding, so
that's nice.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>