Re: kernel panic---operator panic too

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 02:24:35AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> I just upgraded the kernel to 2.4.17 in a deb package.  The install
> apparently went ok.  On reboot I got the following:
>
> >request_module[block-major-31]: Root fs not mounted
> >VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or 03:03
> >please append a correct "root=" boot option
> >kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03
>
> Obviously this is hand copied.
>
> hda3 is my root partition
>
> Now as near as I can make out,  the "root=" boot option must refer to
> /etc/lilo.conf.  Of which there is none on my system.

There really should be....

>  Was I using
> /etc/fstab for this info with 2.2?

No.

>  Do I need to 1) boot from rescue
> floppy, 2) mount fs's, and 3) use ae to save that little root= thingy to
> /etc/lilo.conf?

As a temporary fix I would do this.

Put a new floppy in the floppy drive
cat /vmlinux > /dev/fd0
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda3

You should now have a boot floppy that is a lot more convienent to use.

> Or, is there something completely different to do?

For one thing, make sure lilo is installed.  If it is then you should be
able to run "liloconfig" and end up with a working lilo.conf file.

--
Ray