kernel panic---operator panic too

I just upgraded the kernel to 2.4.17 in a deb package.  The install
apparently went ok.  On reboot I got the following:

>request_module[block-major-31]: Root fs not mounted
>VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or 03:03
>please append a correct "root=" boot option
>kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03

Obviously this is hand copied.

hda3 is my root partition

Now as near as I can make out,  the "root=" boot option must refer to
/etc/lilo.conf.  Of which there is none on my system.  Was I using
/etc/fstab for this info with 2.2?  Do I need to 1) boot from rescue
floppy, 2) mount fs's, and 3) use ae to save that little root= thingy to
/etc/lilo.conf?

Or, is there something completely different to do?

I think I got a little cocky and skipped over some critical pre-install
step.  Fortunately I did decide to test my boot floppies before the
install and found neither worked!  Attempts to create a good one
failed!!  So I did a rawrite2 from a cd resc.bin which worked but is a
pain.  Anyone willing to help save my bacon will be appreciated.

tnx

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash