Re: Play VCD on computer

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:36:30 -0500
dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:

> | > bit small, but
> | > it).  (I should also
> | >
> | > I use mplayer. Very sweet xv accelerated fullscreen
> | > output.
>
> Interestingly enough, an apt-cache search for vcd only shows xine.

Have you tried ;-):

apt-cache search VideoCD

There are unofficial .debs of mplayer packaged by developer Marillat
(http://marillat.free.fr). It's even apt-gettable. My VCD players of
choice however are xine and smpeg-xmms (in Debian main).

The latter is actually just a plug-in for xmms proper that lets you play
VCD's using a feature documented in /usr/share/doc/smpeg-xmms/README.gz.
Use the "open location" (rather than file) option and type in either
"vcd:/dev/cdrom:#" (where # stands for track number) or simply
"vcd:/dev/cdrom". The advantage of using smpeg-xmms over plain
"plaympeg" from the smpeg-plaympeg package is that it lets you seek the
VCD, i.e. watch the movie from a part other than the beginning. The
disadvantage is that is that you can't play it without X.

mplayer, xine and vlc (another nice mpeg 1/2 player which recently got
working VCD support) are also "XFree-free" capable. With xine, however,
you are forced to watch the alphabet, kind of like the cinematic equivalent
of ascii art.