Re: pkg scripts/dependency issues

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

> * 'cduck' Chris Grierson (cduck@u.washington.edu) spake thusly:
> >
> > i think you misunderstood my intention.  i wasn't trying to veil a complaint,
> > rather ascertain the proper way to mass-install a large list of packages w/o
> > encountering the problem of not packages install various files/links/dirs
> > because a package has not yet been installed (even if they are all installed
> > via the *same*, *single* call to 'dpkg -i *.deb').
>
> "apt-get upgrade" (with "dpkg --[get|set]-selections") is probably safer than
> "dpkg -i *.deb". One of the things apt was supposed to do is install packages
> in proper order. It's been a while since I looked closely at Debian packaging
> system, perhaps dpkg does that too nowadays... (and BTW aren't you supposed to
> use "-iGREB" instead of just "-i" when you use dpkg that way?)

ok, this is what i was looking for--you are supposed to use dpkg with
--get-selections on one box, input that file to 'dpkg --set-selections'
on another, and then use 'apt-get dselect-upgrade' (apt-get upgrade will
not honor the work of 'dpkg --set-selections')?  if that is the proper
way to do things, that solves one problem, but i believe that part is
only aesthetic; 'dpkg *.deb' will install packages in the correct order
*so as to satisfy dependencies*, but that isn't the issue.  the issue is
whether the 'preinst' scripts should be checking for installation status
of a package by means of either 'installed' or 'unpacked', meaning that
it is about to be installed, just like the one running the script is.

in the case of doing something like 'dpkg -i j2sdk1.3*.deb mozilla*.deb',
and j2sdk1.3 gets installed first (since neither depend on each other,
and j2sdk1.3 is specified first *and* for good measure, it's lexically
first), it won't install a crucial link to get mozilla to use the java
plugin.

is this an inherent issue with the package scripts, or with batch-/
mass-installing packages or ???

> Dima
> --
> "Mirrors and copulation are abominable because they increase the number of
> entities."                                        -- corollary to Occam's Razor

thanks,

-c

[ Structural Informatics Group  ]
[ Dept. of Biological Structure ]