Problems with VIA 8233 Audio

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte KT7VXE motherboard with integrated AC97 audio. As far as I know, the chip is a VIA 8233. Actually, I am not sure that that one is the audio chip, but I know that I have it on my mb and it is one of the available ones in alsa; so I think it is quite probable that it is the one.

My problem is the following: the chip is not natively supported by the kernel, and I don't get it to work with alsa (I am using woody). I can install the right modules using modconf and there everything seems to work fine. I use KDE as desktop environment; in the configuration dialog I can then choose Autodetect or ALSA and everything seems to work fine again. When I click 'test sound' nothng happens at all. If I try restarting the sound server I get the warning 'cache shutdown while still active objects in cache'.

I think that the following is happening: the modules install correctly and KDE (or whatever other app) can connect to the sound system and output sound; the problem is that the sound server just caches that sound data instead of playing it.

I cannot use alsaconf because it is meant for alsa-0.5 and not for alsa-0.9 and does not list my chip. I tried editing the configuration files manually, but as I don't really know what is going on I probably made more damage than good.

Can anyone help me, please?

Aaron