Re: File Transfers

Please post message by respecting THREADING uning good MUA, please :)

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 10:21:15PM -0500, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> I wish that the solution were so simple as this..
> > On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:02:07PM -0500, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> >> I am looking for a fast and reliable method for transferring files
> >> between systems.
> > Option 1. "split" files into small files and move by floppy.  dos
> > Option 2.  Open box and unplug harddisk.  For deb -> win, make small
> ... but Option 1 is similar to what I do now, and some of my datafiles
> would need 10 floppies at their current size, and as I build
> algorithms to get past the limitations of data types, the number of
> floppies will increase, and Option 2 cannot be done with my systems
> because of different drivebays.  The machine with the bad CD drive
> uses a standard 3.5" drivebay, but the destination computer uses a
> 2.5" drivebay (and I thought I finally found a use for the 100M
> harddisk that is laying on my desk).

If you want to save $30, this is what you get.  iIf it hit 100, complain
:)

Serial connector cable cost money too :)  Seriously, do not worry about
screwing HDD to drive bay.  Wrap them in paper or something and put it
somewhere.  I do not understand 2.5" drive bay, anyway. :)  Are you
talking about height or HDD disk plate size like notebook?

I can think about connecting through serial line, but I wouldn't have
paitience to learn howto do it.  Doing it through ethernet is much
easier.  2.5"HDD to 3.5" HDD converter also exist, FYI.  But cost money.
(I have it)

> The amusing part about getting an ethernet card is that I have 2 that
> are physically compatible with my Debian computer, but both of them
> are broken.  Normally I wouldn't be going on too much about this, but
> these problems are delaying progress on all of my final assignments
> for this semester. And it gets a little tedious recording and matching
> all of the dependancies.

Did you connect these 2 ethernet cards through X-cable or switch?  Are
you sure they are broken.  You seems to have quite a broken system.  I
am amazed it works somehow.  I suspect it is configuration issue.

Anyway, you should be ble to buy 586 200 MHz in junk store really
cheap.  Why tortre yourself too much.  I am using i486 50 MHZ to write
this message using SMP machine as terminal.   (How stupid of me)

> Any more ideas for two awkward computers in an awkward situation?
>
> Seneca seneca@slemish.com

Run SAMBA server on your Debian box or mount windows share drive after
successful networking by any means (ppp, ethernet,...)  That is for
ease of use.

Otherwise stick with something works.  Swapping HDD, using multiple FD,

Another idea: go to any local linux install fest.  I bet there is many
people like me who has many hardware sitting in their closet.  Old SCSI
CD rom with SB card, MoBo etc....

If I find good house for thse hardware, I am willing to give away for
free.  :-)

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +