Re: File Transfers

I wish that the solution were so simple as this..

Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> wrote:

> Hi, $0.00 solutions below:
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:02:07PM -0500, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
>> I am looking for a fast and reliable method for transferring files
between
>> systems.
have
>> no working Ethernet cards, and currently it is assorted packages as I
setup
>> the computer that this concerns, but later it will be datafiles > 10M, so
CD
>> sets don't fit my needs. To the option of using a parallel or serial
cable
>> as described in the HOWTOs, it cannot be used for a few reasons.
>
> Option 1. "split" files into small files and move by floppy.
>   dos program should be available somewhere or use cygwin
>   Merging shall be something like:
>   $ cat file1 file2 >merged-file
>   > copy /b file1 file2 merged-file
>
> Option 2.  Open box and unplug harddisk.
> For deb -> win,
>   make small vfat directory and drop files.
>   move drive to win machine and boot and read.
> For win -> deb
>   move hdd to deb side and mount it and read
>
> Anyway, you seem to have a lot of hardware problems.  Fix it first by
> moving/borrowing cdrom drive.  Slow cdrom and ethernet card cost less
> than $30 only each.  4 hours of work for each at humberger shop.

... but Option 1 is similar to what I do now, and some of my datafiles would
need 10 floppies at their current size, and as I build algorithms to get
past the limitations of data types, the number of floppies will increase,
and Option 2 cannot be done with my systems because of different drivebays.
The machine with the bad CD drive uses a standard 3.5" drivebay, but the
destination computer uses a 2.5" drivebay (and I thought I finally found a
use for the 100M harddisk that is laying on my desk).

The amusing part about getting an ethernet card is that I have 2 that are
physically compatible with my Debian computer, but both of them are broken.
Normally I wouldn't be going on too much about this, but these problems are
delaying progress on all of my final assignments for this semester. And it
gets a little tedious recording and matching all of the dependancies.

Any more ideas for two awkward computers in an awkward situation?

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com