Re: 'swapon -s' shows used: 0. Even when thrashing!

Thus spake Seth Delackner:
> This is a stock potato 2.2.19 kernel from my initial installation of
> debian about 2 days ago.  In the logs it definitly shows "Adding
> Swap:..." and no errors.  'free' and 'swapon -s' show that I have 64
> megs of swap space on my swap partition that are completely empty.  So
> why does it refuse to use the swap even when main memory is choking on
> many apps, most of them sleeping?
Check the output of free - it'll show you how much RAM is actually in
use, as opposed to being vavhed or whatever.  If you have free RAM,
you cache won't be touched.
Steve
--
I didn't believe in reincarnation in any of my other lives.  I don't see why
I should have to believe in it in this one.