Boot sequence freezes at "Starting cannaserver..."

Another linux Newbie.  I saw this exact problem in the archives.  I have installed Debian Potato 2.2r2, I recently upgraded a few apps, and now the machine freezes during the boot sequence, with:

 INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
 Starting system log daemon: syslogd klogd
 Starting anac(h)ronistic cron: anacron
 Starting cannaserver...

The suggested solution was to enter "linux s" at LILO, then "dpkg --purge cannaserver".  I have tried this, and get the response "dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove cannaserver which isn't installed"

Where do I find the boot info, and how do I remove cannaserver?