Re: XFree86: Fatal Server error

Branden,

  Thanks very much.  I followed your advice, and I did some further checking
in hopes of finding this rogue package to no avail.

I have tried removing xfonts-base and re-installing it, to no avail.
I even removed everything in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ directory.
I removed all other fonts and again re-installed xfonts-base.

> Running the command
>
> update-fonts-alias misc
>
> as root should fix the problem.

This did not fix the problem either.  I ran the command as root after I
re-installed xfonts-base.  I still get the same error message from XFree86.

> Anything you can do to help track down
> which package is clobbering the fonts.alias file will have my eternal
> gratitude.

I'd be happy to.  so far no luck.  As I said, I removed everything I thought
would be part of the problem.

> I'd really like to think that this isn't a problem that will
> affect potato->woody upgraders...

I am a potato->woody upgrader.  I did it today.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Scott