Re: lm-sensors build, sanity check

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 09:54:17PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> I'm already building kernels using the kernel-package tools. One of the
> nice things about this is that I can place the kernel sources in arbitrary
> places, such as ~/kernel_build/<version_no>. If I am reading the lm-sensrs
> source README corectly, I will have to unpack the lm-sensors source inot
> /usr/src/modules, even though my kernel sources are not in /usr/src. Am I
> reading this corectly?

No.  You can put the lm-sensors source package wherever you like.  The
important thing is that it be able to find your kernel source tree.  I
don't use kernel-package, and keep my source tree in /usr/src, so it had no
trouble figuring out what was going on.  I have the i2c source and the
lm-sensors source both in /usr/local/src/sensors.

You might be able to just lie to it and point the /usr/src/linux symlink
wherever you like... the lm-sensors doc makes it pretty plain that the only
place it's going to look for your kernel is THERE.

BTW... you can put the kernel source tree in arbitrary places whether you
use kernel-package or not. ^_^

> Second question, isn;t the 12c code what I'm already using to control my TV
> card? If so why must I rebuild it for lm-sensors, and will this break it's
> other functionality?

The lm-sensors documentation is very specific:

"Remember to get both lm_sensors and i2c, and to compile and install i2c
before compiling lm_sensors.  If you do not install the latest i2c,
lm_sensors may not compile, even if you have i2c support in your kernel!!!"

So I would say that you need to build that package and install it as well.

--
Marc Wilson
mwilson@moonkingdom.net