realplayer installer: can I fix it or hold it?

I am using realplayer8 with trplayer, which allows it to work easily in a
non-graphical environment. However, apt-get keeps wanting to have me
upgrade using the realplayer installer. If I say "yes" dpkg-configure
returns an error code 1 and my working installation of realplayer has to
be installed with the .deb package I am using. If I say "no", it still has
apparently done something to the installation, because the next time I use
trplayer/realplayer I get errors about realplayer8/common/rmacore.so.6.0:
cannot open shared
object files:no such file or directory". Can I either fix this so the
installer will work
or put a hold on this package so my installation won't keep getting
undone? I wouldn't mind downloading the appropriate realplayer package and
letting the installer install it, but it never even gets as far as asking
me what directory the realplayer file is in. I've tried purging both
trplayer and realplayer (which the system will do) and then running the
installer, but it still returns error code 1.

The exact error message I get when running apt-get is:
dpkg: error processing realplayer (--configure)
subprocess postinstallation script returned error exit status 1
errors where encountered while processing:
realplayer
e: sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code 1).

This happens after I've been asked twice whether or not i want
to run the installer but have not been asked for a location of
the package.

 Thanks.

Cheryl