Re: Running DirectX Games using Linux OS [Offtopic response to unrealistic zealot response]

csj wrote:

> On Saturday 10 November 2001 03:27, Lambrecht, Joris wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been off the thread for some time but ...
> >

> > Just to let you all know that http://www.transgaming.com/ is offering
> > WineX wich it claims (and has had some good reports allready) to
> > enable windows games to run on top of Linux. Hopefully this will be
> > incorporated into the Debian distro soon ;)
> >
> > An almost final bye bye to W2k (darned canon scanner, anyone up for
> > buying one ? i live in belgium/antwerp)
>
> Maybe you should also read this:
>
> http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=2

Which has nothing to do with WineX.

The article cited in the link is that Transgaming has ported a CDROM copy
protection scheme
to Linux. Now I don't like CDROM copy protection, but to say "WineX is evil
because Transgaming is evil because they have ported SafeDisk" is a bit like
saying "CSR sugar is evil because CSR supply sugar to the people who make
explosives, which is used by terrorists". Not completely like, and there are
probably better examples, such as "A Mitsubishi Magna is an evil car because
Mitsubishi is evil because they make machine guns".

If you read the Transgaming  home page, you'll also see that they're looking at
releasing the SafeDisk code as Open Source as well. At present the version of
WineX on sourceforge does not include SafeDisk.

By supporting SafeDisk Transgaming is much more likely to get support from games
publishers to port using WineX to Linux. And as soon as I can run Evercrack in
Linux I can blow Windows off my games machine completely.

my 2 cents,

John Foster