Re: /var/lib/dpkg/status

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 06:09:17AM -0800, James Vahn wrote:
> How is it possible to rebuild the status file other than by using one
> of the 3 month old "yesterday.gz" backups?  A filesystem crash caused
> the inclusion of binary crud into the current and last two versions. It
> would be preferable to generate new, rather than recycle an old file.

I'm afraid it's not really easily possible. You might be able to come up
with something that compares the files you have installed with the
Contents-$(arch).gz file in the archive, and makes a best guess at what
packages you have installed; then 'dpkg --get-selections < packages;
dselect install' would get you started with restoring the system.

In fact, I might write something like this myself and package it up ...

> An old system, Debian Bo, and for some reason archive.debian.org is no
> longer answering. Is it time to wipe the disk clean?

archive.debian.org lived on a system which died (although it's in the
process of being resurrected now, finally). There are mirrors though,
such as the one at <URL:http://source.rfc822.org/debian-archive/>.

Cheers,