Re: Re: java2?

Michael P. Soulier wrote:

>    Sun, Sun, Sun... you'd think they'd wisen up by now. Especially > with C# and .NET looming on the horizon.

As far as I believe, it would be C# and .NET that would have a tough
time dealing with Sun's Java. Sun's ONE has started way too long ago,
and their "networked world" has started ever since they released
Java and ported their JVM to a slew of different architectures. A lot
of programmers already go for Java. It's portability won over
many (I'm really subjective on this, so please forgive me for this
plug. btw, I don't use java, but it's well known to be very popular
especially to those who design networked apps/solutions)

C# and .NET would not be portable to non-M$-certified architecture
or systems (at least that's what they implied when I asked them
during the local microsoft convention where they released XP RC1.)

>    I don't really like Java all that much. Too slow. Moore's law be > damned=

I agree. It's so perky to system resources - we even punned that
you don't have the right to run Java apps if your system ain't a
monster in terms of RAM and processor speed, as well as the
internet connection. I just like the apps for they look cool and
can be ported almost anywhere where there's a JVM ported to that
architecture.

A nice OOP language which I think can match with java is Python
(when used with Zope - it just rocks. it feels like java, but it
ain't java, at least for the uninitiated).

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com