Re: Converting From Red Hat to Debian

Thus spake Mark Seven Smith:
> I ordered install CD's for Debian (prob. a year ago), and
> found that my video card wasn't supported...it WAS
> supported in Red Hat, and SuSE, so I used SuSE for awhile
> (I had used RH5.2 and 6.1 before that), and now I am
> running RH7.1.
>
> What I WANT to do, is to install the latest Debian version
> onto a second hard drive that I have; then I will put that
> hard drive as drive hda, and use the second drive (the one
> that now has Red Hat) as my /home directory.
>
> That being said--what I want to know is, first of all, is
> how can I install Debian on my second drive, without having
> to go through the install procedure (which is incompatible
> in *text mode* with my video card)?
>
> Also which version of Debian should I use?  (What I am
> going to do once I have Debian working, is to install the
> latest version of XFree86; it has full support for my video
> card, which is an ATI Rage 128).
>
> This has been asked many times on this list I am sure; if
> you could just give me some links to the right pages
> (FAQ's, HOWTO's, or whatever), it would be greatly
> appreciated.  I have read the help and the installation
> instructions on the Debian site until I have begun to bleed
> from my eyeballs; but everything seems to be geared toward
> getting you to the point of running the installation
> program (which runs automatically when you boot the
> installation CD).  And this seems to go bonkers with my
> card!
>
> I would suspect that my video card is bad--but I am using
> it right now, in Red Hat 7.1, and it is working fine.
>
> I would purchase a new card; but I'm poor! <g!>
>
> My system is an ABIT motherboard with 256 MB, 2 6-gig
> HDD's, D-Link 530-TX 10/100 ethernet card, PII, Cox@Home
> cable modem, ATI Rage 128 video card
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Mark VII

That is odd - I have the same card, and I installed from a slink disk
without a hitch.  Works fine in both text and X4 - X3 didn't do so well,
though.  If you can see the BIOS messages, then your card should work
for standard VGA/SVGA stuff.  Maybe your install set is bad?  I don't
know.
Good luck,
Steve

--