Confusing problem installing XFree86 4.1.0

I downloaded the XFree86 4.1.0 installation packages provided at:
http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/xf410_potato/i386/
and burned them to CD.(My Winmodem doesn't work in Linux; I have a new modem
arriving soon)  I ran apt-cdrom and added that CD to the sources, then ran
apt-get dist-upgrade x-window-system.  The installer added the new files.
When it was finished, I ran apt-get dist-upgrade again to see if I would get
any error messages, and it said that the following packages had been "kept
back," but gave no reason for it:

twm xbase-clients xdm xmh xnest xserver-common xterm

I tried apt-get dist-upgrade --ignore-hold but I got the same result.
(Also, I had killed all X-related processes before running apt-get
dist-upgrade each time)

X runs fine, but I'm not sure the 4.1.0 installation was complete because I
downloaded it so X could support my Radeon card, but neither XF86Setup nor
xf86config have entries for the Radeon card or chipset.

Is my installation incomplete, or does something different have to be done
to get the Radeon card to function under Linux?

Thanks,
Jason Machacek