True Type Fonts on Potato

Hi, I would like to improve the font display of my desktop for (mailnly)
Mozilla and AbiWord. I think that the proper way to do this is by
installing True Type fonts.

I have a Potato box with Ximian Gnome. First I did an:

  apt-get install xfstt

copied some *.ttf font files from a Windows box to
/usr/share/fonts/truetype
Added:

  Fonthpath "unix/:7100"

to /etc/X11/XF86Config and did a reboot. This did not seem to do the
trick.
Than I went through the archives for Debian specific information and
came across a pointer to a Debian TrueType Mini-Howto. Unfortunately
I was unable to find such a document on the site.

Any advice or pointer would be much appreciated!

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>