Re: setting ultra DMA for hdd at boot time?

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 01:46:25AM +0100, Steffen Evers wrote:
[...]
> A problem I have encountered is that my harddiscs are not in UDMA mode
> after boot up. Ok I can set them with hdparms every time and could also
> put that in a boot script, but there should be better way as most drives
> are now UDMA and things like sound or video output is really bad without
> it and of cause copying takes lifetime without it.

I don't think it's such a bad thing to do to put one or more hdparm
commands into /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh for instance.

> I have played around with module parameters, but without success. So,
> can someone describe exactly what I have to do?

Have a look at Documentation/ide.txt in the kernel-source tree.
"idex=dma" might do what you want.  You shold be able to use it both as
a kernel parameter and a module option.

Greetinx

xio

--

GPG Keyid 0x0FCD0EE2
GPG Fingerprint C2FF 6147 0ADB 1674 4096  2339 370F CBDF 0FCD 0EE2

fortune - print a random, hopefully interesting, adage:

There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.
		-- Lord Thomas Rober Dewar