Re: bzip2 brings ppp to its knees?

On Saturday 13 October 2001 11:13 pm, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, csj wrote:
> > Anybody else had a similar experience? I can compile without my
> > meager 56K connection stalling. But with a running bzip2 process ppp
> > traffic becomes so abysmal I even get disconnected.
>
> You have a proper modem, or one of those 'software modems' aka
> win/linmodem POS?

I get similar problems when burning CDs, though I've had it happen with
other processes (can't remember if it was bzip2, though). If the
connection is already up, it becomes unusable (though usually stays up),
if not, then it won't establish the link (stalls on negotiation, drops
off, tries again...) until the burning process finishes. I've a hardware
modem (3Com/USR 56K external) and have had this problem all the time I've
been using Linux. In the meantime, the hardware, distro and most recently
the burner have all been upgraded. One of my reasons for getting a faster
burner (12x10x32 from a 2x2x6) was to have less on-line curfew. I've
asked this question before on other forums, but no answer yet. Maybe
it'll improve when I get cable later this year :)

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net / jamaro@firstlinux.net
http://www.dbg400.net  DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities