Re: Network Stalls

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Vineet Kumar wrote:

> * Leigh (leigh@isomedia.com) [010918 16:07]:
> >
> > I believe this is because of the Direcpc satellite and latency.  The local
> > network has no problems.  Here is what will happen.
> >
> > I start a download of 100K or larger and the network will stall, however it is
> > only that session that stalls,  I can in another terminal continue to surf. I
> > am currently doing a steady ping on a system on my network while stalled in
> > dselect to only and update.  If anyone can help with this please let me know,
> > this is driving me crazy!
>
> I'm unfamiliar with this issue but from readings on this list, but this
> might be an ECN issue.

This doesn't seem to be ECN-related. ECN problems happen independently
of the download size.

This could be a problem with failed path MTU discovery. Do you filter
ICMP packets on this link?
You can switch PMTU discovery off on your Linux box, but the problem
seems to be in the downstream direction so this would not help.

Try changing the MSS setting on the interface of the computer
that initiates the connection: "man route" has the details on how to do
this. Try to set this to something<500.

Walter