debian runlevels

hello all,

i am curious as to what the 'norm' is for *debian* regarding
runlevels.  that is, is it not a safe method of shutting down
services to switch to runlevel 1, then back to a 'normal'
runlevel (2-5)?  basically, a coworker uses redhat, and he does
this often to clean up his machine, and i have done it in the
past with my debian system at home with no problems.

with the systems we have here at work, telinit'ing to 1 then 5
hangs the system at the nfs-kernel-server rc script (nfsd),
presumably because the portmapper is stopped, and not restarted
(it is one of the several real daemons started out of rcS, as
different- iated from other 'services' that are *set up* out of
rcS).

thus stated, what is the recommended way to 'cleanse' the system,
without restarting (although at runlevel 1, you might as well,
but i am not considering that an option for various reasons).

thanks everyone,

-c

[ Structural Informatics Group  ]
[ Dept. of Biological Structure ]