Re: CPU Overclocking & Kernel compile

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 03:22:32PM +0000, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:
| Hi Listers,
|
| What are the issues involved in compiling a kernel on a machine with CPU
| overclocked ?
|
| Yesterday I tried to compile 2.4.9 kernel on a celerone machine 466MHZ
| which was overclocked to 550MHZ. The motherboard is ASUS P3C2000.
|
| During kernel compilation the machine is either rebooting in between or it
| is giving segmentation fault.

I notice with my machine (not overclocked, BTW) that kernel
compilation is a CPU-bound process.  It really works the CPU at the
max for several minutes.  If you are overclocking your CPU then
building a kernel, I would not be surprised if it generated excessive
heat or if it lost/corrupted data because it doesn't have enough time
in a cycle to properly transfer it.  I would recommend not
overclocking the machine or do your compilation on a different
machine.

HTH,
-D