Re: Weird font problem with gnumeric, gimp and others

Dominique Dumont <domi@ispserv.grenoble.hp.com> writes:

> Hello
>
> When I launch gimp (for the first time), the 'GIMP Installation'
> window shows only lines and lines of squares instead of text.
>
> I have the same problem with gnumeric cells but only for a
> magnification above 75%. And if I type 6 letters in a gnumeric cell,
> only 3 square blocks are shown. (could it be an attempt to display 16
> bits characters ?)
>
> The number are displayed correctly in gnumeric if I choose a
> magnification below 100%.
>
> I'm running unstable debian on a 1600x1200 display.
>
> Here's the configuration of my xserver:
> Font Path:
>   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
>   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,
>   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,
>   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
>   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
>   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,
>   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
>   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/
>

> Has anyone a clue on how to fix this problem ?

OK, I fixed the problem by changing the order of the FontPath in
/etc/XF86Config-4:

        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"

Now it works fine (after a restart of the X server)

Thanks for your responses

Cheers

--
Dominique_Dumont@grenoble.hp.com