Re: Why is Debian lagging so much behind Slackware?

Sorry if this message ends outside the thread. I can't post directly to the
newsgroup and replying to any of the two messages I received for each post,
sends the answer back to the author. There must be some Debian style here
too...

GP

At 22:13 14-08-01 -0400, Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> écrivait/wrote:

>> How the hell is Volkerding and his small pack managing to put out Slack 8
>> with XFree86 4.1.0, kernel 2.4.5, KDE 2.1.2, GNOME 1.4, glibc 2.2.3,
>> Mozilla, Galeon, Nautilus, ProFTPD, OpenSSH, OpenSSL, mod_ssl, mod_php...
>> and all the usual utilities, hardly 3 months after Mandrake rushed out
>> their broken down distro? Has anybody heard that Slackware isn't safe : ) ?
>
>Does slackware have 5000 packages?

No, unfortunatly. Though I must say there's one or two I might not need and
all debs and rpms can be installed on slack just the same.

Tell me, is this what's preventing the team from offering boot diskettes
for Woody nearly six months after kernel 2.4 is out?

>Is it as well tested, and stable as a
>Debian release?

I'll ask on alt.os.linux.slackware

>Does slackware support 10 architectures (like woody
>will, and potato supported 6)?

I'm afraid it doesn't. Then again, I might not need one or two. Tell me,
will all distro have to be rock steady before we get the boot diskettes?

>Can you upgrade a previous slackware
>distribution easily to the current system or do you hope and pray, or
>just wipe your system and install fresh?

I must say I do not have enough experience to answer this question. What's
the problem with installing fresh, if you keep your configuration files?

>You are comparing apples and oranges.

Yes. It does seem so.

>Just because other dists are
>releasing bleeding edge, doesn't make them any better (let's not forget
>RedHat 7 and it's pre-release glibc and canabalized gcc-2.96).

I certainly didn't forget this one. I think we never should. But who's
taking about Red Hat or Mandrake?

>We prefer
>to release stable systems, rather than try to flash version numbers of
>some high visibility software.

I don't care so much about numbers... though I do prefer when they're over
1. But Debian took 18 months to release Potato. If «just in time» for Woody
was in twenty years, would it still be OK?

GP

--
La Masse Critique

Le sionisme est aujourd'hui aux juifs ce que le nazisme était aux Allemands
chrétiens.

http://pages.infinit.net/mcrit/sionisme.html