Re: Why is Debian lagging so much behind Slackware?

At 19:18 14-08-01 -0700, you wrote:

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> écrivait/wrote:

>A Debian distro, when released, is stable.

Which stuff was I reading the other day, Red Hat's or SuSE's. It said
"Don't trust our stuff, it's unstable as a swamp over hell!" That's why
we're thinking Debian or Slack... but I thought Slack was relatively stable.

>Debian/stable is aimed at production systems:  servers, embedded
>systems, dedicated-use systems (e.g.:  public kiosk, POS terminal), and
>some classes of desktops in which maintenance issues are to be
>minimized.

I see. That's why Debian is not in a rush to produce boot diskettes. It's
not for people like us.

>> We though about installing Woody, but, as you people know, the boot
>> disquettes don't boot yet.  Potato must first be installed and an
>> upgrade made to Woody. Newbies might not appreciate... =20
>
>For a network install, this is recommended and relatively painless.

Yes. Mister Collins was saying that just before: why start anew... mainly
when you don't even have a /home partition. Scary!

><troll deleted>

Remember this:
BEWARE OF TROLLS REQUESTING BOOT DISQUETTES! THEY'RE THE WORST!

>Yes, I've noticed.  Usually from the blood on the floor.

Well, as you explained, Debian is not for newbies. Ergo, no blood on the
floor. It's really clean!

I must say I really appreciate the answers I receive here. They're really
enlightening.

Some time ago, Slack found that it was loosing its clientele. No beginners
were coming to Slack. So they cleaned their act without loosing their
identity. They did put out some sort of little script called pkgtool, but
mainly, they gave good install instructions and decided to stay up-to-date.
I believe people are coming back to Slack.

GP

--
La Masse Critique

Le sionisme est aujourd'hui aux juifs ce que le nazisme était aux Allemands
chrétiens.

http://pages.infinit.net/mcrit/sionisme.html