Re: Xserver Problem

Francois Fayard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just changed my system from potato to sid.
> I use matlab on a remote UNIX station, and what I used to do on my potato
> doesn't work on sid anymore. I do (Homogenic is my debian box, and sequoia is
> a SUN) :
>
> homogenic% xhost +sequoia
> sequoia being added to access control list
> homogenic% rlogin sequoia
> fayard@sequoia's password:
> Last login: Mon Aug 13 13:53:58 2001 from dhcp259
> Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.6       Generic August 1997
> fayard@sequoia[101] xemacs
>
> Initialization error: X server not responding
> : "dhcp259:0.0"
>
> Can you tell me what's wrong ?

You could try to use ssh
ssh -X fayard@sequioa will tunnel all X windows through the ssh
connection. No need to use xhost anymore. If ssh is not installed, you
will have to beg your admin for it...
Or you could use telnet instead of rlogin, then "setenv DISPLAY
homo.genics.ip.adress:0.0" instead of the host name, that could work,
too.

> Another question, my box is connected to the network via dhcp. So each times
> it boot, it gets a name like dhcp259 for the network. But the name of the
> computer is still homogenic which I gave at the installation procedure. How
> can it be changed to this 'dhcpxxx' each times it boots.

No idea, maybe some admins in here?

> Thaks for your help
> Francois

hope that helps

joerg

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.