From: frater mus [mailto:mouse@mail.mousetrap.net]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 10:11 PM
To: Eugene van Zyl
Subject: Re: Bash/Perl weirdness

[posted and mailed]

13 Aug 2001:  "Eugene van Zyl" <eugene@streetcar.com> wrote

> I've got a perl script with the following permissions:
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        23980 Aug 13 15:55 data_update.pl
> the first line in the script is:
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> which is where perl lives on Debian potato -> perl -V gives the correct
> reponse ... but # ./data_update.pl gives me:
> bash: ./data_update.pl: No such file or directory
> What gives? What obvious thing am I missing here cause other scripts run

Are you sure it's really on the *first* line, and that there are no typos?

There's definitely something wrong with the magicline because the perl
interpreter is not being invoked.

You can prove this to yourself by doing a "perl ./data_update.pl" which will
explicitly call the perl interpreter.

--
L.V.X.
the Great Work, CD-R, OTR              http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/