Firwall Problems

I just put together a new firewall at the house. It is a fresh install of
Potato with a 2.2.19pre17 re-rolled with IP Firewall support and the
IP-Masq-ftp, and IP-masw-pptp  modules installed. Then I installed IPCHAINS,
IPMASQ, and IPMASQADM. The box makes a pppoe connection to my DSL provider
at bootup and then it starts the masqrading. This generally works fine. But
I must have some prt block, becasue I cannot get out from behind the
firewall to certain ports (i.e. 10000). With the ipmasq-modules I have no
problems with pptp or ftp from behind the wall. And most traffic is fine
(web, tribes2, etc.). I was going to modify some of the IPchains rules, but
I noticed this. When I flushed the rules IPCHAINS -F. They dissapeared, but
soon returned. How did they get back ? Also, I have not been able to get
ipmasqadm working. I have used this befoire without problems, but for some
reason my port forwards dont work. Any suggestions on determinig exactly
what I have forgotten. Why wont impasqadm work ? How can I fully manage this
firewall ? It seems krules are being applied from somewhere I have not
checked.

Thanks!

Ben