Re: How to get packages via a Windows box

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Pac
kages
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joerg Johannes" <liste_joerg@gmx.de>
To: "Danie Roux" <droux@tuks.co.za>; "debian-user"
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: How to get packages via a Windows box

> Danie Roux wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 06:26:23AM -0500, Gary Setter wrote:
> > > I've installed the base Debian system as a dual with MS
Windows.
> > > I want to install X-Window from the Debian web site. The
lab
> > > where I'm 'working' has a DSL connection, however, I can
only get
> > > it to work with Windows.  Currently, I'm downloading files
via
> > > IE to the Dos partition, rebooting to Linux and finishing
the
> > > install there. For small stuff, I can tolerate this. For
> > > X-window, I need to do something better.
> > >
> > > I've been trying to setup a network connection on the Linux
side
> > > via pppoe, but I have no support here and it looks like a
dead
> > > end.
> > >
> > > I'm thinking of a Windows version of atp-get. If I had
that, I
> > > could bring down all the packages for X-window  create a
local
> > > mirror on my dos partition and then run atp-get under Linux
> > >  this time the local mirror is
> > > my source).
> > >
> > > Has this been done before? Are there binaries I can grab?
Do you
> > > have any helpful suggestions?
> >
> > If you're running Woody or Unstable, the easiest is
the --print-uris option of
> > apt-get. I use this for example:
> >
> > $ apt-get install aspell --assume-yes --print-uris | sed
s/\'//g | grep http | cut -f 1 -d " "

> > This gives me a list like this:

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/aspell/aspell_0.32.6
-3.4_i386.deb

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/aspell/libaspell8_0.
32.6-3.4_i386.deb

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libt/libtool/libltdl3_
1.4b-2_i386.deb

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pspell/libpspell2_0.
11.2-2.5_i386.deb

> > There is a script on vim.sf.net to convert this to GetRight
whatever files. And
> > you do get wget for windows.
> >

> Hmm. This looks good, but I think this guy's biggest problem is
to get
> the
> packages files. He won't be able to run "apt-get update" on his
box, and
> so
> apt won't know the urls for the debs. (This is the same problem
I have
> posted
> ~1 hour ago -- how to get apt up-to-date on an offline box?)
> So, if anybody can help us, please..
>
> joerg
>
> --
> Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
> will hear the voice of Satan?
>
> That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows
2000.

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

Is this the proper list of packages for
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Pac
kages

that
 $ apt-get install aspell --assume-yes --print-uris | sed s/\'//g
| grep http | cut -f 1 -d " "

needs? If so, where do I put the Packages file? I wanted to stay
with potato stable. Do I have a chance?

Thanks!

Gary