1024 Cylinder Violation

I installed potato on a friend's computer using the CDs and foolishly
disregarded the warning telling me the kernel must reside on the first
1024 cylinders.  The computer is question is a Pentium 90 with a 10 gig
disk, a 2 gig disk and a preexisting Windows 95 installation. I was
installing Debian on a couple of unpartitioned gigs at the end of the
drive.

On boot, now, LILO gets to `LIL' and then quits. I would very much like
to restore this system to bootable status without any loss of (Windows)
data. Any suggestions on my best course of action? I have access to a
Windows machine with net access, the Debian rescue disk, Debian CDs, and
a Windows 95 boot disk.

Please send replies to dwindlehop@cmu.edu.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Pearce