Installation Problem...Keyboard error

I've done a bunch of Debian installations and I have never seen the error message that comes up on my AMD Athlon 1.33 Gig machine (I also have a maxtor 40 gig 7200 rpm HD with a Windows 98 partition).  During the boot disk there is an error message that looks like this:

Keyboard: Timeout - AT Keyboard not present?

Then when it asks me to put in the root disk and press enter...nothing happens.  Probably because my keyboard wasn't recognized.  I've tried several different keyboards and I even tried installing slackware 8...but to no avail.  The same problem occured.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Rick