Re: HELP, caught in a login loop

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 10:10:20AM +1000, Tony Bartholomaeus wrote:
| Hi Karsten,
|
| Every distro I've used can be forced into runlevel 3 (ie. straight into a
| console) by simply typing -
|
| linux 3
|
| - at the LILO prompt when booting. (Substitute "linux" with whatever name
| you have assigned to your Debian partition in /etc/lilo.conf).

FYI (Tony and others) -- Debian's default is to have all runlevels
identical.  Thus switching to runlevel 3 won't help.

Instead you may want to make note of the 'single' argument that can be
passed to the kernel which causes it to skip the init step and simply
ask for root's password.  You can also pass an init argument, such as

    linux init=/bin/bash

to change what init program is used.  This is essential if, for
example, PAM becomes broken and all logins fail.

-D