Re: remote administration methods

also sprach Karsten M. Self (on Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:27:54PM -0700):
> Have you looked at bitkeeper (http://www.bitkeeper.com/)?  This is an
> almost-free software versioning system which addresses several
> weaknesses of CVS and might suit your needs.  Larry McVoy is also pretty
> keen on distributed processing issues.

bitkeeper looks like a good idea, but it's commercial and i do not
have monetary means available. aside, i could not find some sort of
evaluation, so i could not establish, whether bitkeeper would solve my
problems.

> File permissions and such might also be handled by a secondary script
> which keeps a list of settings and applies them following updates.

this is mainly the problem that i am trying to circumvent. if
permissions weren't a problem, CVS would suit me just fine, but i do
not want to go through the administrative and potentially erroneous
process of scripted messing with file permissions in bulk on
productive systems -- especially not because of the need of real-time
reconfiguration as files get added or permissions changed globally.

thanks though for your reply, and sorry for the long delay in
answering.

"i believe that the moment is near when by a procedure
 of active paranoiac thought, it will be possible
 to systematize confusion and contribute to
 the total discrediting of the world of reality."
                                                      -- salvador dali