HELP, caught in a login loop

I am new to Linux
I just installed Debian GNU/Linux stable 2.2.23 for i386

I am caught in a continuos loop involving X-Windows login.

When I boot, the computer start xdm and then goes right away to the
X-Windows login.  The problem is that X-Windows is not configured right,
and I am getting multiple images on the screen, making X-Windows unusable.

I then exit X-Windows to try to get to the prompt, so that I can
reconfigure X-Windows, but it goes right back again to the X-Windows login.
 Making it impossible for me to get to the prompt so that I could fix this
problem.

Would you please inform me, how I can boot Linux and stop it from starting
xdm and X-Windows.  You assistance will be greatly appreciated.