wvdial: pppd connects to ISP -- Now what?

Working on laptop install (Fuji) from console.  Installed minimal debian from
floppies.  wvdial finds modem and connects via pppd.  My problem: how to
enter commands.  The console has no prompts.  If I migrate to another
console and issue commands, like 'lynx', nothing happens.  So, I'm afraid
I'm stuck again.  Have tried 'man wvdial', but my minimal install has no
man command.  Thanks in advice for a much-needed tip.  dave