Re: hostname with dhcp-client

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 11:03:51AM -0500, Carl Greco wrote:
> ----------------
> send host-name "peregrine.cox-internet.com";
> lease {
>   interface "eth0";
>   option host-name "peregrine.cox-internet.com";
> }
> ----------------
>
> I have used several combinations in the above config file including
> setting the hostname and domain names separately.
>
> I don't find an error message from dhclient; however, the hostname
> assigned by DNS, i.e., from nslookup on the ip address, is not
> `peregrine' but some combination of letter, numbers and dashes.

I was under the impression that the 'host-name' option to DHCP was just
used to look up your machine in the DHCP server's database, and that you
needed to get whoever runs your DNS server to give you the reverse DNS
you want too. I don't think you can just send a host name over DHCP and
expect it to work.