Re: Galeon (unstable): Cannot find a schema for galeon preferences (gconf)

on Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 11:08:47AM +0200, Leo Laursen (l.laursen@mail1.stofanet.dk) wrote:
> In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
>
> > I'm getting a dialog box with the following error when running Galeon
> > after the latest unstable upgrade:
>
> >     Cannot find a schema for galeon preferences.
> >     Check your gconf setup, look at galeon FAQ for more information.
>
> >     Expert mode
> >     -----------
>
> >     1. Edit the "path" file in the directory $sysconfdir/gconf/1.
>
> >     A basic configuration for the default backend would look
> >     like:
>
> >     xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory
> >     include "$(HOME)/.gconf.path"
> >     xml:readwrite:$(HOME)/.gconf
> >     xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults
>
> > =2E..I don't find a setup-gconf-source file in the Galeon package.  I'm
> > sufficiently a non-GNOME user that I've no idea how to go about setting
> > up a gconf schema (let alone what the damned things are).
>
> > I did find /etc/gconf/schemas/galeon.schemas, but it doesn't appear to
> > be doing the trick.  Note it's listed in conffiles (below).
>
> > Anyone got a fix for this?

First, I'm redirecting response to list.  This is of general interest,
I'd hope.

> Making "/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" world _writable_ fixes it.
> Faq said chmod -R 755; but that did'nt help.
> I tried chmod -R 777, and that works. (a litle drastic)
> After that Galeon wrote a lot of "stuf" in the dir.

WTF is /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults doing being world writeable?  Isn't
that just crying out for all kinds of nastiness?  And no, this isn't
aimed at Leo.