matrox g450 and dri

Hello:

I'm trying to get DRI to work with my new Matrox Millenium g450.  It's the
dual head, 32 MB ram version.  I only have one monitor, so I really don't
need the second head :)

Anyway, here's my setup:

Debian v2.2 (potato), but with the XFree86 4.1.0 binaries installed from
people.debian.org/~cpbotha/.  I'm running a self-compiled kernel version
2.4.7.

Here are the things I've done:

I replaced /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o with the file of the
same name from Matrox's website.  I also dropped in the file names
mga_hal_drv.o from the Matrox site.

I compiled my kernel with support for agpgart and the corresponding mga.o
module.  I verified that both agpgart.o and mga.o were loaded with lsmod.

At this point, DRI still doesn't work.  My /var/log/XFree86.0.log file
reports "(II) MGA(0): direct rendering disabled".

So then I did a bit of research (over at dri.sourceforge.net).  I
downloaded the replacement kernel modules (drm), compiled them and
installed them (these kernel modules are available at
www.xfree86.org/~alahn).

Still the problem persists.  The most suspect line my
/var/log/XFree86.0.log file is this one:

(EE) MGA(0): [drm] MGADRIScreenInit failed (DRI version = 4.0.0, expected
3.0.x).  Disabling DRI.

Since I'm not really sure how all these pieces fit together, I'm not sure
what file needs to be upgraded (or downgraded?).

Thanks for any help you might have!
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, Take a bow for the new revolution