Re: ide-scsi device question

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 10:26:02PM -0500, Jeremy wrote:
> I recently enabled the ide-scsi option in my kernel (and set it up so that
> lilo started it for the right devices) for my cd burner.  I also have the
> generic scsi driver in there.  My burner BURNS just fine, but I was wondering
> what the new device file name is that refers to the device.  I'm mainly just
> looking for the pattern it adheres to.  I can't seem to mount anything in my
> burner or in my regular cdrom drive because the /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd are no
> longer valid for those devices.  I thought it was something like /dev/scd0,
> but I tried several /dev/sd* and scd* files, but none of them worked.
> (unless there's one that I'm missing and not trying)

CD writing software uses the SCSI generic devices (/dev/sg0,
/dev/sg1, etc.) as device names.  This requires SCSI generic support
compiled into the kernel, or the "sg" module.

When you want to use the CD burner as a block device to mount an ISO
or play music, you use the SCSI cd devices (/dev/scd0 ? I use devfs
these days ... for me it's /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd  with
/dev/sr0 as a symlink :)  This requires SCSI CD-ROM support compiled
into the kernel or the "sr" or "sr_mod" module depending on your
kernel version.

I just looked at a box running 2.2.19 without devfs ... /dev/scd0 and
/dev/sr0 have the same major, minor numbers, so if you have any
/dev/sr* devices try one of those.  /dev/sd* are non-removable media
(hard disks).

Finally, you need to pass parameters to the kernel describing which
IDE devices you want handled with SCSI-emulation instead.  I pass
"hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" to my kernel at boot.

HTH,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.