Re: exim won't relay mail

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:58:49AM -0700, Cam Ellison wrote:
| * dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
| > On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 03:37:48PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
| > | In article <[🔎] 20010731085227.A5521@harmony.cs.rit.edu>, dman
| <snip>
| >
| > I just verified, using telnet, that while the mailserver
| > (mail.rit.edu) accepts my mail, it didn't get to my inbox on the CS
| > systems.
| >
| > -D
|
| I'm not thinking clearly here, and probably gave you bad advice --
| is mail.rit.edu where you are trying to send your email, or is it
| your ISP's mail server?

It is a mail server.  My "ISP" is my school, and that is one of the
mail servers they have (the Comp Sci department has their own as well,
though I am not aware of any others).  If I type a different address
(using telnet) as the envelope-from then the mail gets delivered
properly.

| The route_list assignment under smarthost must refer to your ISP.
| If you do not have a direct link to mail.rit.edu, it should not
| work, I think.

I don't know how "direct" (you don't mean that the TCP packets can't
have multiple IP hops, do you?) the connection is.  I can check
traceroute from that machine later.  I'm at work right now and this
'doze box doesn't have traceroute.  However, sending mail using telnet
with a decent envelope-from address works fine.  Conclusion : as
Miguel said, I need to change the envelope-from address that exim uses
to send the messages.  (time to RTFM some more :-))

| Cam (who just figured this out a week ago, and still isn't sure)

<grin>

-D