Re: Copying Linux to a new drive

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 02:24:27PM +0300, George Karaolides wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Willi Dyck wrote:
> >           $ find . -xdev -print0 | cpio -pvdn0 /dev/[destination]
>
> This is a question I've been curious about for some time.  Why not just do
> a tar?  tar copies links by default (not the files they point to) and
> preserves UID's and GID's, ans also permissions with the p option.  There
> is also the -l or --one-file-system option to only archive files in
> the local file system as does cpio with -xdev.
>
> Am I missing something here?

That depends on what the results from tar are. What about device files
located in /dev/*? Are they "tared" right?

> It seems to work for me.  Am I doing something wrong?

If it works for you (I have not tried the tar way yet) then your right.
I would like to know if tar handels the device files right!

MfG/Regards, Willi

--
niemals entkommst du meinen worten,
sie folgen dir nach als gedicht,