Re: lanuage

"Martin Bretschneider" <brety@gmx.de> writes:

> In article <[🔎] 87hewc8usy.fsf@TK212017118241.teleweb.at>, "Leonard Stiles"
> <ljs@uk2.net> wrote:
>
> > Not sure if this is what you mean, but posts to
> > <URL:news:linux.debian.user> are not sent to the mailing list
> > (only the reverse is true).
>
> Hm, that's not very well... Waht's the purpose?

I agree that it is not ideal, it has been discussed before.  I suppose
the idea is to prevent the mailing list receiving spam from usenet.

> But you got it;)

I read the list via nntp but have my newsreader (Gnus) set up to post
to the mailing list address (you don't have to be subscribed).  You
might want to do the same.

> >> I use a recent Sid and have got a problem: All my programm are English,
> >> even selfcompiled. I want German;) Is there a variable to set?
> >
> > Put LANG=de in your environment.
>
> Where? On the shell? As root? Nothing happens...

The variable needs to be set in the environment of the process which
you want to display localised text. If you "export LANG=de" in the
shell, all processes started from that shell will inherit the value.
To set it on a global basis, try the file /etc/environment.

--

Leonard Stiles <ljs@uk2.net>